Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Yay! Headtube!

So I have to say that nova rocks. I ordered a new HT on Friday, I was expecting it to take a week with the holiday and all. I got it on Monday! So yesterday I cut it to length, cut the hole in the frame, and brazed it in place. I am MUCH happier with the brazing on this one. I didn't cook the tube nearly as much. There is very little charred flux (as you can see on the first image). The cleaned up shot is just after hitting it with a wire wheel on the angle grinder. I think I'll leave it like that. I'm no pro yet, but I'm pretty happy with that braze.






I also brazed in the seat mounts and the rear cap plate the other day. The seat mounts got good penetration, I'm quite happy with them. There are a few slightly dry edges, but I'm confident I got good penetration deeper into the joint, I just should have pushed the brass in more all the way round. I was trying to be too tricky by pushing it at only the top and bottom and using the heat to pull it around. On the whole this worked pretty well, but I missed a few spots.





This is the cap at the end of the maintube. I just slip brazed it as it's only moderately structural. It provides some protection against collapsing the tube, but that shouldn't require much and a thin slip braze should be sufficient. I also think I built up a good inside fillet. I put a lot of brass into this joint and not much was left outside. I didn't lose any to the floor, so it has to be somewhere.




No comments: